The Salt Lake Tribune Building, 143 South Main Street in Salt Lake City, Utah was formally the site of a home station for Pony Express riders.
The long two-story structure included a veranda in front and a large livestock yard in the rear. The station was known to be one of the better facilities along the Overland Trail for food and lodging. Horace Greenly and Mark Twain were among the guests.
In 1924, the plaque was dedicated by the Spirit of Liberty Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution in tribute to the personnel of “That Gallant Enterprise.”
The plaque was designed by Utah artist Mrs. Rhea Taylor Skelton. The plaque was wrought by the Capitol Brass Foundry.
The site of the plaque was selected under the direction of the Spirit of Liberty Chapter Regent Mrs. Glenn R. Bothwell with Mrs. Elizabeth Chrisman and James Peacock.
The Pony Express Marker is overseen by the Pony Express Chapter in Lehi, Utah and the Sego Lily Chapter in Bountiful, Utah.